Monday 16 November 2015

My metabolism boosting breakfast



My current metabolism boosting breakfast. 30g of oats cooked with 100g of egg whites, 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon and stevia. Then I mix in 1 teaspoon of Maca Root powder with 1/4 cup almond milk and top with 5g chia seeds and 5g of brazil nuts. Why have I chosen these foods?

Organic rolled oats - help to keep you full and are full of fibre, as well as being metabolism stimulating.

Egg whites - I choose this over protein powder as I believe in eating as many whole foods as possible. It mixes and cooks very nicely with oats.


Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil - It is high in medium chain triglycerides which are fatty acids that boost metabolism.

Cinnamon - It can help metabolise carbohydrates and may improve blood-glucose levels by increasing insulin sensitivity.

Maca root powder - It is an amazing superfood full of vitamin A and C, and rich in B vitamins and zinc, magnesium, calcium and iron. It contains two unique types of acids named macamides and macaenes, which are believed to play a key role on balancing hormones in men and women.It's also an adaptogen, which is a unique group of plants capable of improving the health of your adrenal system (this system is in charge of managing your body’s hormonal reaction to stress). Therefore, maca naturally reduces your stress levels.

Chia seeds - Benefits include fat burning and increasing exercise endurance. The nutritional profile of chia ranks it high in foods rich in fiber, omega-3 fats, protein, vitamins and minerals. Chia contains essential fatty acids alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid, mucin, strontium, 20% protein, Vitamins A, B, E, and D, and minerals including calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, iron, iodine, copper, zinc, magnesium, manganese, niacin, thiamine, and anti-oxidants.

Brazil nuts - The main reason they rock is due to their high Selenium content, which boosts thyroid function and lowers cancer risk.

Yes I still weigh my food. I do not have a naturally lean body and I love food, so I need to know exactly what's going in each day. I still enjoy my treats - I had some lovely red wine and healthy baking last night!

Have you tried eating different foods at different times, and really take the time to notice how they affect your energy/mood/digestion? I feel awesome on this breakfast!

Calories 276      Carbs 24g      Fat 11g      Protein 19g

© Copyright Anna McConnell 2015. All rights reserved.