Saturday 6 February 2016

COLD BREW COFFEE - you gotta try this!





Cost - $6 for 3L!
I rarely buy coffee unless I'm treating myself. But I have found a way to make amazing coffee at home for a fraction of the price. I drink mine hot, with coconut oil, honey, milk and gelatin (read below as to why). How to make cold brew:
-200g bag plunger ground coffee (I use hummingbird as it's organic and fair trade)
-3L filtered water (use 2L if you like it very strong)
-3L glass jar (using plastic affects the flavour)
-Muslin cloth
Place coffee and water in the jar, stir and leave for 24hrs. Strain through a muslin cloth and it's ready to drink!
Cold brew tastes fantastic cold with ice and a dash of cream or baileys. You can also try it hot with sugar and milk or cream. I usually drink mine hot first thing in the morning (heat in the microwave). I've found it is much much smoother than plunger coffee, because it uses cold water rather than hot.
Coffee used to make my hands shake, which basically means I was causing a stress response in my body making my adrenals release cortisol.
I now drink my coffee with 1 teaspoon coconut oil (fat), 1 teaspoon honey(sugar), 100ml lite milk(carbs) and 1 tablespoon collagen hydrolysate gelatin(protein). Drinking coffee this way means it is a balanced meal, so instead of creating a stress response you will boost your metabolism and burn fat!
Collagen hydrolysate gelatin helps regulate your metabolism by providing pure protein rich in amino acids like glycine, lysine and proline, and it is quickly absorbed by the body. The body's natural ability to repair supporting connective tissue diminishes after age 25, but hydrolyzed collagen promotes rapid cell growth, producing synovial fluids to first lubricate joints, then build tissue.
It contains high levels of hydrochloric acid which creates an acidic environment in the gut which helps restore healthy gut integrity, optimises nutrient absorption and has been successfully used in the treatment of gastro-intestinal disorders, including IBS, Crohn's disease, colitis, hypo/hyperacidity, leaky gut, candida and parasitic infections. 70% of our immunity relies upon our gut so ensuring gut health ensures immunological functioning.





ensures immunological functioning.