Thursday 18 June 2015

Getting yourself out of a funk

We've all been there. Maybe you had a bad week at work. Maybe you have been sick. Maybe one cheat meal turned into a cheat day then a cheat week. Maybe something big is happening in your life which is beyond your control. Maybe you simply just lost motivation because it's cold and dark outside.

I've been in a real funk this week. It was entirely self inflicted, after having far too much alcohol and far too little sleep last weekend. All I have wanted to do this week is eat (far too much) and sleep. I wasn't filling in my food diary, training was next to nothing, I wasn't ticking anything off my list and I wasn't doing any work on my 2nd job. All of this combined made me feel really anxious, and that put me into even more of a funk. 

In the past I would have continued down the negative spiral a lot longer. I have been sucked into that spiral for weeks and months before. But I'm getting better at recognising when it is happening and I make a decision to get myself out. So I hope my experience can help you if you're in one of those places.

The first thing I did was accept how I was feeling and make a choice to change it. Sometimes I have to remind myself that the world isn't ending because I had a few bad days hehehe.

I got a piece of paper and a coloured marker and made some notes for myself. This is what I wrote:

  • I haven't ruined anything for having a 4 day breather
  • Friday is a new day
  • Fresh start
  • Build momentum
  • Rock it!

It's so easy to write things like this down for yourself (it could be ANYTHING motivational) as long as it comes from you. Writing things down means it is much more likely to happen because it's no longer just an idea in your head.

It doesn't matter if you have been in a funk for a day, a week, a month, a year, 10 years OR you just want to start a new habit. Remember it is NEVER to late to start having a good day!

Happy Friday! (now I'm off to sleep some more haha)

© Copyright Anna McConnell 2015. All rights reserved.